Sunday, March 28, 2010

Understanding from the outside world

Last night I went to the theater. As usual accompanied with a sock. It gives me something to do before the show starts and it often starts a conversation with somebody. This time an elderly lady sat next to me who responded immediately to my knitting. She even noticed that I was using wooden needles and how much better that is compared to plastic needles. No comments on the size of the needles which I found refreshing. As expected she started talking about her own knitting. She mentioned that she spins and dyes her own yarn and she makes bags out of that which she then felts in the washing machine. After I mentioned that I also spin she asked which brand spinning wheel I have. When I dropped the name Louet she nodded approvingly. I didn’t get a change to ask which spinning wheel she has, I do know she still spins.

For the first time I had a conversation with a total stranger who understood me. She only had a little trouble grasping the idea about starting a sock toe-up.

No comments: