Sunday, September 27, 2009

Project Christmas

This year I want to give everyone a self made present. That would be 6 items. Nothing fancy, otherwise I should have started sooner. I simply love lists, I have lists for everything or else I’ll make up a list.
So I made a Christmas-present-giving-list. I made a complete overview of the things I want to make and for every project I note how far I am. From this I have one sheet in which I can see how far the project is and how much longer I have to go. The whole system is based on me doing a little less than 1% of the total project. Right now I have 34% done and I expect to be finished by the 13th of December. That’s well before Christmas.

Of course everything has to work in order to be able to accomplish that. Mom’s gift gave me some trouble.

Last week, Sunday afternoon I had my pattern, needles and yarn ready by two thirty. I have to cast on 128 stitches. Long tail cast-on is what I normally do so there I go. I got to a 100 stitches. Ripped it out, a bit more yarn and I managed a 120 stitches. Grmbl. Okay, I’ll do the cable cast-on. Finally managed a 128 stitches and I proceed to knit in the round. Five rows of garter stitch for the border. After 1 repeat of the stitch pattern I realize that my yarn is going way too fast. Time to measure my work (waddaya mean gauge swatch?). I have 29 inches and I should have 21.5 inches. GRmbl. Ripping it out. I calculated the stitches I need and started to cast on again. Problem is that the cable is too long for the number of stitches. By row 2 I decide to get another needle, a longer one so I can do the Magic Loop. Second row is a purl row. Halfway through the row I realize that I’m knitting every stitch. GRMbl. I ripped it out again and went in search of a shorter circular needle. I found one, only it’s one size larger. Again cast on 96 stitches, 5 rows of garter stitch and start the stitch pattern. It’s really simple, knit 6, knit 2 together and a yarn over. Somehow I have stitches left over at the end of row 1. I know I cast on 96 stitches, I counted it several times. Great, at the beginning of the row I knitted 5 stitches instead of 6. GRMBl. Tinked back to the beginning of the row and started again. At the start of repeat 2 I seemed to have lost a stitch somewhere. At one spot I have 5 knit stitches instead of 6. Can’t for the life of me figure out what went wrong. GRMBL*. Ripped back to the border and started again. At eleven o’clock at night I had a total of 7 rows done. I kept going at it, counting and recounting my stitches and I think I won.

cowlmom

Maybe it’s too simple for me. At least it’s wonderful yarn (Drops Alpaca Silke) and it sure can stand being ripped out 6 times.

*use of language was a bit stronger in reality.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

How funny! I don't know how you made it through. ***I*** felt like screaming at all those grumbles!!

And I love how mathematical you are about your Christmas knitting. I just cannot wait to see you again! I have to update my blog too... been busy! :-)