Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Swift


swift
Originally uploaded by isis1207
The mess is nicely on its way to becoming a sock. Because I’d rather not do something like that again I went searching for a yarn swift. There are some real nice ones with even nicer prices (from the seller’s point of view). On the Ravelry forum I found this manual, looks easy enough.
At first I wanted to send the link to the males in the family with ‘Christmas present’ in the subject line. That would mean that I’d have to wait 2 months before owning it. That’s pretty long. So I’m going to try it myself.
First I checked to see what I had lying around in the shed, which wasn’t much. Up to the hardware store and I bought a bolt, a small beam and a dowel. Measure, mark, saw and sand. After 2 hours I had everything finished, except for the holes. Asked dad for help on this one since I lacked the necessary drill bits. Dad made some holes for me and look, it works.
It’s not completely straight, the bottom is made of a board that was already warped and sawing straight isn’t my strong suit. But . . . it works like a charm. A skein of 1460 yards became a ball within 30 minutes.
Those spiders are not real, they came with the yarn. My cats love them, I’m not so sure about it.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

How incredibly AWESOME! You never cease to amaze me. I love how you did this!

Nat